Vegan Layered Sponge Cake with THEG Frosting
Fluffy, decadent and healthy at the same time? Never thought it was possible? Now you can have your cake and eat it too! This layered cake with THEG frosting is delicious, vegan and dairy-free. Our secret: coconut whipped cream.
- 2 cups self-raising flour (you may use gluten-free flour here if needed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup of almond/soy milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
THEG Coconut Frosting:
- 400ml of coconut cream (refrigerated overnight) – be careful not to overturn the packaging, as you will have to drain the clear liquid first
- Half a sachet of MyMaha’s The Essential Greens (THEG)
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey/agave (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease two 8″ round baking tins
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract till creamy.
- Then add the rest of the cake ingredients and mix till smooth.
- Pour the cake batter equally into two baking tins and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, check with a skewer to see if it’s completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool. Remove from the tin.
- While waiting for the cake to be cooked, beat the coconut cream on medium for 2 minutes or beat vigorously by hand for 5 minutes. Add THEG and honey, and continue beating until completely smooth then place it back in the refrigerator. (If it doesn’t form nicely into a frosting, feel free to add 1 teaspoon of arrowroot starch and continue beating. Add more if necessary.)
- Make sure the layers are as uniformed and smooth as possible. You may have to trim the layers as they may have risen differently.
- Place the one layer onto a cake board/plate, then add about 1/2 inch of THEG frosting on the layer of cake.
- Place the other layer on top and cover the entire cake surface with THEG frosting.
- Voila! It’s time to eat. Serve immediately or refrigerate before serving.
The Essential Greens
The Essential Greens is our high-vibe proprietary blend of green superfood powder made out of 10 organic fruits and vegetables, conveniently packaged in single serving size packets to provide excellent, convenient nutrition whenever you want.Find out more